Monday, March 14, 2011

The Beginning

Hi all! My name is Amy Dean (aka Librarina!) and I've worked in libraries for 12 years! Last spring, after much pressure from co-workers (you know who you are!) I finally decided to attend an informational session at Simmons College to pursue my Master's in Library and Information Science.  I had a great time at the session.  My main concerns were how manageable the program would be for me since I'd be working full time at the Ames Free Library in Easton, MA and commuting into Boston from the South Shore (Brockton, MA).  The best part on the session was that there were graduates of the program there to answer questions.  That was really the determining factor for me and is why I finally started working on the application process! I had to write an essay(this took many attempts and much proofreading from my friends and my husband), get three letters of recommendation(thanks to all who wrote wonderful things about me!) and submit a resume(the last one I had written was from 2004 so needless to say, it needed work).  All of these things were possible because of my dedicated and caring group of friends, family and co-workers.  I'm so grateful to all of you for your undying support!


My acceptance letter came in the fall and my husband Rob actually opened it and called to tell me I was accepted on the phone(even though I had told him NOT to do this-he kept opening all my mail from Simmons before this letter came and we had a little talk) because he was so excited! This really has been a group effort, and all of you have invested little pieces in me! My struggles, sacrifices and victories are yours as well, we are all on this journey together!

No comments:

Post a Comment