Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Reference Visit to the Brockton Public Library

One of my assignments for my Reference class was to check out a large public library's Reference area.  Since I've recently moved back to my hometown of Brockton, MA., I thought I'd go check out the new library (they've had a fairly recent renovation and addition).  Brockton has a population of 93, 527 people.  When I walked into the library, I was amazed at how much has changed since I had been there!

 The first floor consisted of a generously sized children’s room with a soundproof door, giving the children the freedom to play and be loud without disturbing the rest of the library. There were also conference rooms, offices and a community bulletin board here advertising library programs and events like computer classes and English as a Second Language programs.

 The second floor contained the circulation area, and the circulating adult collection.  There was also a newspaper reading room and a gift shop of locally made items like jewelry and scarves.  The proceeds from the gift shop all go to the library.  On this level I noticed the gorgeous artwork that decorated the walls, marble floors and the scrolling wood banisters of the stairs leading to the third floor; the reference area.

The first thing I noticed as I entered the reference area was how bustling and alive with people it was.  The reference area had a huge sign hanging above it so you couldn’t miss the large desk where three staff members sat.  There were many computer stations.  The librarian would inform me later that there was a total of twenty three. 

The Reference Librarian of the Brockton Public Library is Lucia S., and she was very excited to hear I was attending Simmons as she was an alumna of Simmons.  She told me she had worked in the Brockton Public Library for thirty six years, and I could tell by her expertise of the materials as she showed me around excitedly.  First she took me to the two historical rooms, which house very old documents on the history of Brockton.  She opened cabinets and showed me archives of newspapers that went back to the 1850’s, original photographs of civil war veterans from Brockton, and even journals and writings from one of the first mayors in Brockton, William Lewis Douglas, who also served as governor of Massachusetts in 1904. 

 Lucia informed me that art, poetry and culture have always been a huge part of the Brockton Public Library and the library owns many pieces of fine art by famous artists like Albert Pinkham Ryder and William Merritt Chase.  The library also puts money in the budget every year toward the annual Art Smart contest where local high school students enter to win monetary prizes for their artwork

Lucia told me that the library serves a huge diversity of ethnic groups, especially Cape Verdean, Haitian, Spanish and African people.  One of the most popular programs they have at the library are conversation circles for learning English.   She also said they have a large population of homeless people who come in to use the computers to look for jobs.  The library partners with Mainspring House, a homeless shelter across the street, so that homeless people can get library cards. They have a delivery service that stops at the shelter every day to provide the homeless with books and other materials. 

 Lucia gave me a thorough tour of the library and the services they offer.  She even took me to her office! She was approachable, knowledgeable, and displayed excellent customer service skills.  While we walked around, people approached her to say hello and she responded warmly and always used the patron’s name.  I definitely got the impression she would be a great librarian to ask a personal reference question because she was approachable, non-judgmental and capable.  From my observations, Lucia demonstrated all of the ALA’s guidelines for behavior and service. She provided me with extensive information about the library, its services, patrons and history.  I could tell she uses a proactive approach  to reference service because of her interactions with many patrons during my visit. 

I loved the physical layout of the reference area, which was clearly marked and set up for maximum efficiency with two assistants at the desk to help with basic questions.  I think the Brockton Public Library is an excellent example of an information commons because the reference area provides patrons with superior service both virtual and physical for the betterment of the community and focuses on their specific needs. 

On my way out of the reference area I saw the library’s “Rules of Behavior” posted in the center of the room.  They are as follows: “No smoking, eating, drinking, intimidation, harassment or threatening.  Children must be supervised.  No loitering, sleeping or solicitation.  Shirt and shoes required.”  I think this statement sums up that the Brockton Public Library is an institution that provides an atmosphere of knowledge and learning in a respectful and safe environment for the whole community.  Lucia is a steward of these important values as she extends excellent reference service to the people of Brockton.

I will be a regular at my local library now that I have my new library card! If you live locally, be sure to check out this amazing city library!  In the meantime, take a look at the website for more info:
http://www.brocktonpubliclibrary.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment