Sunday, June 2, 2013

Children's Services in Times of Trial and Tragedy





Sadly, there have been many recent events in our society that have forced us to prepare to help children cope with and understand tragedy.  While this topic is a sobering one, it is a relevant one that anyone who works with children must educate themselves about.  I was impressed that my professor of Children's Literature at Simmons created an essay assignment on this topic, specifically for students to think about the library's role in times of trial and tragedy.  Each of us spent some time brainstorming what we thought defined the role of libraries in times of tragedy and ways we thought the library could help children during these times.  We also explored literature on the topic to help us support our thoughts.  In the end, we had a collection of essays that illustrated not only how important the library's role can be during trying times, but that for years libraries have been at the center of supporting their communities in this way.

 I am happy to say that with the help of our professor, we are working on compiling these essays in a published e-book.  I'm not going to include my essay here until the publication process is complete, but if  anyone is interested in reading it ahead of time please contact me.  It's going to be an exciting process to learn how to format an e-book, and I hope to share my learning experience with all of you so you can read about how libraries are staying relevant, strong and invaluable to the communities they serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment