Saturday, June 4, 2011

What I'm Reading Now

Hi! I've completed the spring semester at Simmons and received A's in both classes, ending my first semester with a 4.0! I have a quick break and then I start my summer class (ugh) on June 13.  During my weeks off, I've been reading up a storm! Here are some good books I've read recently:


The weird sisters by Eleanor Brown
A well-written novel about three sisters named after heroines of the bard's famous plays by their Shakespeare Professor Dad.  When their Mom falls ill, the sisters all return to their childhood home to find that some things never change...but some things do...for the better.

Water for elephants by Sara Gruen
I didn't read this book when it came out, so when the movie version hit theaters, I figured it was time! The book hooked me from the very beginning and I couldn't put it down! The book tells us the story of Jacob Jankowski, a young man in veterinary school who loses everything he's known when his parents die in a car accident.  What ensues is an exciting tale of adventure, romance and murder when Jacob joins the Benzini Brothers traveling rail circus.

The red garden by Alice Hoffman
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors and I always look forward to her books.  In her latest novel she weaves together stories of generations in the fictional Blackwell, Massachusetts.  The town carries secrets and the supernatural from one generation to the next.

The peach keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
A great summer read! In this quick but nicely written short novel, two totally different women are brought together by their grandmothers' pasts when a skeleton is found.  The writing is poetic at times and the book is filled with magical realism.

On the road by Jack Kerouac
I'm listening to this audio book in my car.  The book is a detailed journal account of Sal Paradise and his crazy friends as they travel across the U.S. and back again...and again...and again. 


The fates will find their way by Hannah Pittard
A coming of age tale that takes you into the adulthood of a group of male friends whose lives have been changed by a female friend that goes missing on Halloween night.

No comments:

Post a Comment